Sunday, September 28, 2014

In the final chapters of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, it explains Maya's coming to age. Maya falls asleep in a junk yard in an abandoned car and a group of teenagers acknowledge her when she wakes up. They tell her that she can join their "group" as long as she contributes. So she's ends up staying there for about a month. After, Maya goes to San Francisco and gets a job. She reads a book about lesbianism but mistakes it for a hermaphradite. She asks Vivian for clarification on everything going on in her body and Vivian confirms that all is well with her body. Maya starts to get interested in guys and knows that associating with them will not make her look like a lesbian anymore. Later, Maya gets pregnant and accepts all of the responsibilites that come along with it.
When reading about Maya's coming to age she says "I think so differently now, that I feel like I don't really even know myself." Personally, I can relate to that. When I was in high school, I had such an immature way of thinking. Once college started, petty little things didn't even phase me. My maturity was growing in me well. You focus more on the things that matter. Maya's independence and confidence grew as she got older. That's also what happened to me. I was able to do things on my own, confidentially. That is a very good feeling!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. High school was full worries and pressures for me that, I now realize, never truly mattered. Peer pressure was the main source of these worries for me and I had become more mature and see past them. I guess it takes maturity to look past peer pressure and realize what is truly important. Or maybe overcoming peer pressure is the way to maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you are coming from, I used be a very timid girl who wanted to be a wallflower. Now, over time, I have opened my eyes to see the world isn't such a scary place and that I should find the confidence in myself to conquer what I want to do in life and do what makes me happy. It takes someone to look into their inner self to find who they truly are in order to feel secure.

    ReplyDelete