Sunday, August 31, 2014

Summary:
Recently, I've read an interesting article having to do with commercials that appeal to a certain sex at a certain hour of the day. In Steve Craig's article entitled "Men's Men and Women's Women" he gives a few examples of how commercials have certain little aspects that categorize them into four different categories: Men's Men, Women's Women, Men's Women & Women's Men. For example, when summarizing a Men's Women commercial Craig states, "Men's women are portrayed as physically attractive, slim, and usually young and white, frequently blonde, and almost always dressed in revealing clothing." As for a Women's men commercial he states, "He's a good looking, sensitive, romantic, and he appreciates her." Furthermore, he explains how Men's women commercials are usually showed in the evening when the man is home for work, relaxing and watching some tv or on the weekends when sporting events are usually aired. As for the women's men commercials it tells how they are usually showed during the day when the women are home.
Opinion/Response:
My response may be totally off the wall but I'm responding in regards to Craig's time of day in terms of the commercials airing on television. The fact that the Men's women commercials are usually aired during the evening time (assuming they are home from work) is acceptable. That's usually what happens. Dad, husband, boyfriend, single man comes home from a long day at work gets comfortable, grabs a beer and watches a little tv before bed. HOWEVER, I don't consider myself a feminist but in this particular blog, I just might… The fact that Craig states that the Women's men commercials are aired during the day because women are usually home (inferring that the women doesn't work and stays home) in a way kind of offends me. I don't like how that is something that is just predicted now a' days. I thought the age of sexism was out and washed away. It shouldn't be assumed that women are home and not fulfilling their careers. I am most definitely over thinking that little portion of the article but I can't help it if it bothers me. Nothing against the stay at home mothers. I know they are always working hard at home. When Craig pointed it out, it just led me into deep thought. I won't ramble and ramble anymore. I think I got my point across. Ok I'm done now.

3 comments:

  1. Rhilee, I agree with you. It bothers me as well that society is still so predictable now a days. Not all women are stay at home mothers, there are some great ambitious women out there who are successful and do not have husbands because they feel that they do not need a significant other or they are just too busy with their work lives and balancing everything. Many women now, are quite independent and know how to provide for themselves because society in the past has taught them that if they want something they will have to work for it and not have a man always hand it to them on a silver platter. Us women are strong we need to stand up for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, I just want to reemphasize that stay at home mothers can also be ambitious. What I think is wonderful about this time is that we as women do have any option open to us, including being stay at home moms. So long as women are choosing that path--rather than having it forced upon them--then we should be celebrating their choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you have related Maya's incident to your personal life and somehow its true that when you get out of high school you feel as an adult and so responsible.

    ReplyDelete