Sunday, November 16, 2014

I plan on expanding essay one on the Steve Craig's Men's Men and Women's Women. I focused my essay on the Dove commercial that I chose for it and how it is focused more so towards women. I was only focusing on Women's Women and never gave examples of how other commercials focused on Men's Men or Men's Women, etc. I want to find more commercials so that I can expand and thoroughly explain how the media aims to please a certain gender. The format of the paper will be the same, however it will just be more detailed and give better examples.
Key terms:
1). Introducing Steve Craig's article of the aim of genders
2). Give an example of Men's Men
3). Women's Women
4). Women's Men
5). Men's Women
6). Importance

4 comments:

  1. we are kind of choosing the same topic. for my first essay i used men's men and i connected this topic with a beer commercial. i think it would be cool if you use your original topic Women's Women vs any of the 3 remaining topics. that is what i am doing, may be we can exchange ideas now that you did women's women and i did men's men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we are writing on the same thing. I am also expanding my essay on Steve Craig's. I also had focused on Women's Women, where I used a Victoria Secret commercial. Since you had focused on Women's women and used a Dove commercial, you'd be able to also use a Victoria Secret ad, where it targets Men's women. For example Victoria Secret doesn't only target women but also men by having them fantasize their spouse look as beautiful and skinny as the girls they use in their commercials. Not only that but its football season and a lot of commercials are going on that targets Men's Men. I hope I helped a little. Good Luck on your essay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think adding more commercials will benefit you greatly because you will be able to elaborate much more and bring in more ideas. Now a days, there are many commercials to give as examples especially with our image centered social media world. Maybe you could add the difficulties of being a woman in this society today with so many eyes watching and judging with many expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comments above. It would be interesting if one of the ads adheres to gender stereotypes (basically Craig's categories) in a humorous way (the Go Daddy commercials are like this, but also the Dr. Pepper 10 ads and the Most Interesting Man in the World character). Is the message different when the ad is meant to be humorous? The key terms you have above look more like an outline for your paper. Instead, what key terms will you use when searching a database for other sources? I would suggest "gender and advertising," "marketing," "gender stereotypes," etc.

    ReplyDelete